Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Attempting Animoto: Teaching a Teacher

And it begins..... my first attempt at creating an educational video for my classroom. Can you believe that I have never heard of an Animoto!? Animoto's are everywhere; on Facebook, on Pinterest, on YouTube , even on Twitter! Heck, these little videos have more friends than I do! So it seems that I must jump on the band-wagon and check it out.
Just like teachers must do in preparation of a lesson, some brainstorming must be done. I must assess my current skills and plan how bring myself to the next level. Therefore, diving right into Animoto is out of the question. I must provide myself with the proper learning tools so I can succeed in my task.

Here is my 10-step plan on how I will develop my own Animoto for my kindergarten classroom:
1) Learn what an Animoto is through books or internet.
2) Browse through various Animotos about kindergarten.
3) Download proper Animoto tools and necessities. Which ones cost MONEY and which ones are FREE?
4) Brainstorm ideas for classroom Aninmoto.
5) Start the creation process.  Tips to help create Animotos.
6) Share with colleagues and collect feedback.
7) Apply necessary tweaks.
8) Present to kindergarten class!
9) Observe their response and listen to their feedback.
10) Attempt Animoto again...?!?

I have currently completed steps 1 through 4 and have decided what my Animoto will be about....THE CLASSROOM RULES. I thought this would be a great idea because it is a video that I can use throughout the year to introduce and reiterate expected behaviors. I can even replace photographs with student work, pictures and writing as the year moves along. 

Here is an Animoto I enjoyed, it shows how student work can be effective and engaging:






2 comments:

  1. Thanks Cassandra. I am trying to navigate Animoto on this snowbound day and your post on the topic was incredibly helpful. It was reassuring to see that someone else in the class has/had the same trepidation as I. Interestingly enough, I have sought advice from my students who are far more technologically sophisticated than I can ever dream of being. I really look forward to viewing your final product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, when you break down the steps of the Animoto it seems pretty simple! I'm actually looking forward to making mine. My students love when we use the SmartBoard, so I have a feeling they'll love this "educational music video". I love your idea of using classroom rules for your Animoto, you can never remind them or practice enough!

    ReplyDelete