Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Hip-Hop-Hooray for Animoto

It's finished! My first Animoto is complete. It is different from my original idea for three reasons:

1) My orginial concept of "Kindergarten Rules" is still in the works, but I did not feel like it was long enough to produce yet.
2) My classroom students have decided they would like to learn about planes and trains and automobiles; so a "Transportation Study" is in full effect. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to introduce new transportation vocabulary to them.
3) Searching for the perfect musical accompaniment.


What were my road blocks on this Animoto journey? Well trying to find a different mode of transportation for each letter in the alphabet... not easy. I resorted to using some other forms of vehicle-vocab to fill in the harder letters; such as O, U, E, K, N, Q, V and X.

I decided to look for a hip-hop song because I think my students would get excited and move to the beat while learning! I purposly looked for an instrumental-only song so the words/lyrics would not distract them. Also, I want them to be able to call out the names of the differents forms of transportation while the Animoto is playing- making it more fun and interactive.


Here is it.... Enjoy!

(If Animoto does not play, click here Transportation Animoto.)

Any more suggestions for letters O, U, E, K, N, Q, V and/or X???

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea! I love that you designed this video with your students' interests in mind. The beat is perfect, the ABC's of transportation is an adorable spin, and I'm confident that your little guys will be quite excited to shout out the names of various modes of transportation. The pacing is spot on, and I'm impressed by your knowledge of all these vehicles...I don't know that I could name all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you were flexible in your idea and changed things up when you realized what would be best for your students! The Animoto is great, engaging and I'm sure your students will love it! I'll be thinking about those tricky letters, (O, U, K, Q) and let you know if I think of anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Cassandra. You can always try violin for V and Xylophone for X (that is what popped into my head), Umbrella, Ukelele for U, Oval, Ovaltine, Orange, Organ, for O, King, Kingdom, Knight, Knife, for K, just as some examples. I like how you don't put the word down so they have to think about it.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete